02 October 2008

Tesco groceries delivery "service"

Why is it that people around me don't have any problems with Tesco's delivery service, and their "after delivery has gone wrong" service? I've had such poor service with them in three areas of the UK and on a regular basis, so I surely can't be the only one. Can I?

I did a quick search on Google and found an almost endless list of people having problems with Tesco's delivery "service", so those people around me who aren't having any trouble have just been lucky so far.
The biggest problems I have had with Tesco is missing items in my deliveries. Not just one or two items, but in the days of carrier bags it would be a whole carrier bag missing. Now they use large crates instead of carrier bags and I was missing a whole crate full of frozen items from my shopping yesterday. It was delivered after customer services had closed, so I sent them an email to let them know that my frozen items hadn't arrived, and two loaves of bread had been squashed by a 2 litre bottle of drink and a 750 gramme jar of marmalade!
I didn't hear anything from them until this evening, and they kindly phoned me on my high rate number to earn me a few pennies :-) Well, if businesses can earn money from us phoning them, then why not the other way around. The driver arrived after 8pm with my crate of frozen produce and I humped it up the the kitchen upstairs. There was nothing in the crate that I had ordered, so I quickly came to the conclusion that the driver had given me somebody elses crate. The drive had phoned me from his mobile, so I tried to get hold of him first, but go the answerphone, so I phoned customer services. They weren't sure what to do, but took my number and promised to phone me back.

Anyway, a long story short, the driver came back with my frozen goods and informed me that the wholemeal bread was out of stock (we are talking about the giant, Tesco, that's open 24 hours a day... no wholemeal bread... maybe they were all squashed!). Customer services came back to me with a refund on the bread and the delivery charge. Well done this time, Tesco. Last time I had to wait 4 months before they eventually got my refund correct! I changed over to
ASDA after that episode and stuck with them until I moved into an area where Tesco were the only major groceries delivery supermarket. Notice that I said, "were"?

I just found out that
ASDA now deliver in this area. Woohoo! Their after delivery service is amazing, plus if they replace an ordered item with a more expensive one when they don't have stock of the cheaper one, they price-match it. If something arrives damaged then they refund double of it's an ASDA brand item. Now that's what I call service. Most of my value items from Tesco have been replaced with more expensive items in my recent orders, sometimes four times the price of the cheapies! Yes, I can refuse to accept the item, but then I have to spend time and money going out to get the time myself, which would make the home delivery pointless.

Let's see if ASDA down here is as good as the ASDA I loved up in the North East of England. Just a shame they were taken over by a US company. Maybe that's why the service is better. England has a lot to learn about service. And manners!

Have you had a look at my mobile phone shop? I do gadget insurance as well.

3rd October 2008... Guess what? The
Tesco story doesn't end there! The local Tesco left a message on my phone at ten to eight this morning to say they are picking my order and could I please phone them... Well, I tried a few times through during the morning, but was engaged. In the afternoon it just rang. Just after 2pm I get a knock on the door. It's a man in Tesco uniform, come to deliver the missing items from my order! Yes, the same items I received last night! I told the driver that I had already received them and he told me his instructions are to deliver them to me, so I took them. Four weeks of frozen goods for the price of two. Not bad. Maybe this lack of communication between departments isn't so bad after all, so keep up the good work, Tesco!

So, who do you think I should do my next shop with,
Tesco or ASDA? Use the comments section to answer. I think ASDA, personally. I didn't mention that my previous two orders have broken eggs, although the membrane was intact & it really wasn't worth the cost of the phone call to complain. Also, the order they just made a mess of contained two bananas instead of the 2Kg of bananas that I ordered. They only charged me for two, so don't want to confuse the situation any more for their poor little brains! I did double check the email confirmation of my order to make sure it wasn't me who made the mistake with the banana order, and it wasn't.

Carl's Emporium will be up and running by 5th October 2008, but you can click here for a sneak preview!

No comments: